Kimberly's Reviews > Song of Solomon

Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison

Aug 13, 2007

Read in June, 2007

I absolutely loved this book. An Afican American, trying to trace his history to find the real name of his father, and he comes to find that his history (and he does have one! He is not "Dead") is preserved in a children's song. The relationships between the characters are of the greatest importance as well, between friends, families, community members, strangers. Toni Morrison, whether by some natural talent or incredible perceptiveness manages to include such truthful descriptions of people. One passage in particular that I loved (and it's just a random passage) is about how children who were spoiled growing up will become adults who will always be trying helplessly to fall in love and fail, as if they could never have enough love again. (I'll try and find it to quote it here later as I am not anywhere near as well as articulating an idea as Ms. Morrison). Did I mention that she managed to take this somewhat despicable male character (and I loved that this time it was a male central character) pull me in, actually making me sympathetic of him and his motivations?
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Song of Solomon.