Seth Hahne's Reviews > Emma, Vol. 01

Emma, Vol. 01 by Kaoru Mori

Jan 28, 09

bookshelves: comics
Read in January, 2009

[[This is a review of all seven volumes:]]

I am officially on-board for any of Kaoru Mori's future projects.

The author's zeal for the era of her focus is blindingly evident and her rendering of its particulars exhibit such attention and joy that it's hard not to get swept up by the objects of her affections. Let's be clear. In real life, I have no interest in late-19th-century Britain's class disparity or in maids. Yet due to Mori's work here, I was absolutely engaged for the whole seven volumes, finishing them over the course of a day. If she decides to write something furhter on the matter, I'm certain to be drawn in again.

Mori's storytelling is impressive. The line of her art perfectly suits her subject matter; it's crisp and confident. She includes any number of silent scenes that allow the reader to pause and take in the full scope of what is occurring within the more introspective parts of her characters. Keeping the reader involved, Mori uses a number of visual devises, requiring one to pay attention to camera angles and character details. The storytelling occurs as much through visual relief as it does through verbal narrative and dialogue.

Emma is chiefly the story of Emma and William. This is a romance and we see them meet-cute, fall for each other in that stereotypically understated Victorian way, encounter difficulties due their class distinctions, and finally resolve their relationship. It's a lovely little story.

As mentioned, Emma is the story of Emma and William. And as such, Mori leaves every other story untold. It's easy to see how one could be frustrated with as many loose ends as Mori leaves untied for her supporting characters' part, but for me that just added to the wonder of the story. Because of Mori's reluctance to end all stories with the conclusion of Emma and William's story, she keeps Emma from being yet one more example of a horribly contrived romance.

That said, I am thirsty to know more of the lives of the other characters. Eleanor. Hans and Adele. All of the Jones family. More, more, more. Please.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Emma, Vol. 01.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Noran Miss Pumkin so hard now to get the entire series

Seth Hahne Yeah, the death of CMX makes how awesome Emma is a real bummer. I have several younger friends I think would love the series, but I can't get them interested in something that's no longer in print.