Zach's Reviews > The Game: Penetrating the Secret Society of Pickup Artists

The Game by Neil Strauss

Jan 28, 2009

Read in January, 2009

Haha… so I think a lot of people have the wrong idea about this book. I was talking with a friend who was really interested in reading it when I was done, and she thought that it was a book about HOW TO PICK UP WOMEN. Which it is, but only tangentially. It's really more of a narrative about someone who joins the pick-up community, a subculture of men who swap ideas and stories about the best ways to get women into their beds. Along the way, he drops some of the things that they talk about doing, practices and routines that are tried and true, but that's not really what the book was about. For me it was more of a book, like any other book, about human relations - the ways people view the world, and hope to interact with it.

Strauss' "The Game" was a very entertaining book, documenting outrageous lifestyles, and ridiculous approaches to relationships (defined here very… er… loosely)… and I really liked it up until the ending, which was a little bit too cheesy for my liking. But an interesting read nonetheless, and, despite being just about 450 pages, a surprisingly quick one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Game.