Erik Graff's Reviews > Something Hidden

Something Hidden by Louisa E. Rhine

Sep 21, 12

bookshelves: biography
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Recommended for: parapsychology students
Read in January, 2009 — I own a copy, read count: 1

If you have an interest in the original work Duke Parapsychology Laboratory (now the Institute for Parapsychology) or in convincing proof of ESP, then you ought turn to the books by Joseph Banks and Loisa Ella Rhine or the Journal of Parapsychology. Although Ms. Rhine does give some information about their work there and does offer some opinion about the subjects of their research, this is primarily a biography of the two of them. I found it very heartwarming, their's having been an exceptionally fruitful and wholesome relationship.

Ms. Rhine is no great stylist. She writes like the University of Chicago botany researcher she was, matter-of-factly. But the facts of their humble upbringings, of their earnest adolescent debates about philosophy, of their unlikely romance, of their struggle to obtain their doctorates and of her emotional states through all of this are moving in their simplicity. Throughout, she loved and admired her friend, then husband and colleague, "Banks", and it appears that the feelings were mutual.

This book is unique in that it draws on Ms. Rhine's personal journals and the correspondence maintained by her and her husband between themselves and with others. She appears to have saved everything and to have checked her recollections against what she wrote at the time. The only failing of the book is its lack of a bibliography.

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something Hidden.

Karen Nicely written review, and you are spot on. I wonder if you have read the recent book Unbelievable, on the Duke lab. That really made the Rhines, Pratt et al come to life for me.

Erik Graff No, I haven't yet. Thanks for the comment.

eg

Karen It's by Stacy Horn, if you are interested.