Chelsea's Reviews > Jellicoe Road

Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

Aug 04, 10

bookshelves: awardwinners, youngadult, recced, 2010, contemporaryfiction, own, 2011
Read in July, 2010, read count: 2+

This review is going to sound just like all the other reviews on Goodreads for this book, because they're all exactly right.

It's a slow and confusing start: push through.
It's frustrating, because Marchetta makes you work for every piece of information: it's worth it.
It's an incredibly satisfying ending, even if you still haven't quite worked out all the details: yep, you're probably going to want to reread this one.

I had put off reading this one because I thought it couldn't possibly live up to the hype - and it didn't, really. The hype was pretty impossible to live up to. But it's an incredibly well written book, full of complicated characters, with a story that will grip you before you ever figure out what's going on.

(I ended up reading this in one sleepy go, trying to stay awake all night at the train station - turns out that when they say the train leaves at 11:20, they mean it. So plot and characters and style were a bit irrelevant, as I was going to read the book no matter how good or bad it was. But it worked out really well for me.)

January 2011: I just reread this in full for the first time since I read it originally (I flipped back through it and read specific parts after finishing it the first time, as I bet lots of readers do, as I put things together), and I think it was even better this time around. Since I technically knew who everyone was this time around, and knew how the pieces came together, I think it was actually a better read this time around, because I caught more of the hints and details that I missed initially. And, seriously. Jonah Griggs. <3
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jellicoe Road.