Andy Madsen's Reviews > Robinson Crusoe

Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe

M_50x66
Jan 27, 09

Read in January, 2002

It's really sad that people judge books from the 17th century from their 21st century politically-correct perspective. You don't have to agree with Defoe's worldview and religious beliefs to like the book. I'm repulsed by Homer's beliefs but I know his works deserve to be classics.

People who think this book is boring probably think hikes through majestic mountains or quiet afternoons in a beautiful garden are boring. This book is slow at times. But the slowest parts are the best. Defoe is a master of detail. And the action is much more exciting when it comes after the calm. A book with only action would be boring to me (not to mention corny, e.g. Treasure Island).

This is, hands down, my favorite novel of all time. Rich detail, gripping plot, profound character development, insightful meditations, and the meeting of two radically different worlds in Robinson and the cannibals. I never stop reading this book. When I finish I start again. I love Robinson and Friday as if they were a real life father and brother.

BTW - There is an audio recording by Ron Keith that is spectacular. The publisher is Recorded Books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Robinson Crusoe.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Patricia love your defense, i love this book! :0

message 2: by KZ (new) - added it

KZ Are you suggesting that the author's ignorance (due to the time period he's from) elevates his book above criticism of its flaws--such as racism? How is it “sad” that modern-day people have a problem with racism (among other things) in this story? Don't make excuses for bad behavior.

Jesse Kearl Thank you! I am also extremely frustrated by people that can't look at the book in its proper context.

Andres Eduardo Estoy de acuerdo/Im agree, youre right

message 5: by Manray9 (new)

Manray9 Never judge historical figures or works of art by modern standards. Seek out the universality, but understand that times change. Good comments on Defoe.

message 6: by Brian John (new) - added it

Brian John I couldn't have said it better myself. Great review!

Ryan Stowell I can't stop rereading it.