Jennie's Reviews > Keeping You a Secret

Keeping You a Secret by Julie Anne Peters

Jan 27, 09

bookshelves: glbtq-books, young-adult-books

Reading through the YA fiction available for GLBTQ readers has been a somewhat disappointing experience. I would really give book this book 2.5 stars because there are some things the book does right, but really I can only classify it as "okay."

While the topic in this book is really important, I would love to see it handled by a truly skilled writer such as Laurie Halse Anderson. The writing in Keeping You a Secret is just not that great and I'm sorry that GLBTQ YA lit often seems to fall into this category. I imagine readers are so desperate to see themselves reflected in the literature, that books like this are given a lot more credit than they deserve.

What the book does wrong: unrealistic/flat characterizations, a jerky start that left me a bit confused and questioning whether I wanted to read on and terribly corny slang. I actually wrote down a list of offending phrases that I doubt have ever been uttered by the lips of a high school senior (except perhaps in an ironic way) including: "wastoid, goon, shudder city, no way - way!, shiver city, and hangdog."

I checked the copyright date, preparing to excuse Peters for the silly expressions. However, it was published in 2003 so there really is no good explanation.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Keeping You a Secret.

Lauren i totally agree. i was a high school senior in 2003 just coming out myself, and i can honestly say none of those expressions even crossed my mind. ugh.