Haley's Reviews > The Runaway Dolls

The Runaway Dolls by Ann M. Martin

Sep 08, 09

bookshelves: summer-reading-09

Life is good for the dolls in the Palmer's house and it's about to get even better: the palmer's have decided to go away on vacation for two whole weeks. That means no cat, no people, no worry. Looking forward to two weeks of fun, a mysterious package arrives addressed to Kate's great great grandfather. The Palmers leave for their vacation without opening it or telling Kate's grandmother. Once they're gone, though, Annabelle does open it and what's inside could change the Doll's life forever. That is, if they can survive their runaway adventure.

I can connect this book to the real world, Text-to-World. There are two major reasons this book connects to the real world. 1. it makes dolls real, something most kids think anyway. 2. a lot of people, mostly kids and teens, think running away is the only answer and that is exactly what Annabelle thought. Also I think it might take place in a real town, but I'm not sure.

I gave this book four stars because I thought it was creative, one of the best in the series and had some cool plot twists. Although, some parts were shallow and badly explained. For example, why didn't Kate's grandmother see the package? Why did they say they had two weeks, and then change it according to the grandmother? And why did the woman watching the house not come every day, or even be mentioned in the plot until they ran out of better ideas? Over all, though, it was a good book and the pictures made it even better. I would recommend this book to younger kids and their parents, or someone looking for a fun, light read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Runaway Dolls.