Rhain's Reviews > The Tommyknockers

The Tommyknockers by Stephen King

Feb 13, 09

Read in January, 2009

Oddly, Stephen King gets better as you read more of his stuff, not because it's an acquired taste so much as because he's exceedingly self-referential. Not to the point where he's incomprehensible if you haven't read his other work, but in a more subtle way. Tommyknockers has a ton of little asides and details that call back to It, as the two towns that are their respective settings are next door to one another. Small things you'd never notice if you hadn't read both, but it's kind of fun to pick them out. Of course the Dark Tower is the ultimate stockpile of that sort of thing, but more about that anon.

As to the book itself... it's pretty good. The kind of things Stephen King is always good at - creating an atmosphere, giving one the creeping jibblies, conveying a stream-of-consciousness thought process, et cetara - are good here too. I don't know, his prose itself seems less polished here than in other books of his. Glad I read it. Don't know that I'd go out of my way to read it again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tommyknockers.

01/27/2009 page 498