atla's Reviews > Knitting for Peace: Make the World a Better Place One Stitch at a Time

Knitting for Peace by Betty Christiansen

Feb 03, 09

bookshelves: nonfiction, 50bookchallenge-2009, library
Recommended for: Any crafter with a big heart
Read in January, 2009

I've looked through this book quite a few times at bookstores, but never wanted to shell out the cash for it. So when I found it at the library, I finally picked it up and read it. It's a good read for someone who wants to knit or crochet (though it only has patterns for knitting) for a charitable cause, but isn't sure which organization best suits their abilities and desires. I found two groups that really tugged at me. The Mother Bear Project, which is "is dedicated to providing comfort and hope to children affected by HIV/AIDS in emerging nations." The book made it seem like they only accepted knitted bears, but apparently the crochet pattern is available on their website for a $5 donation. Secondly, Project Linus, which makes it their mission to "provide love, a sense of security, warmth and comfort to children who are seriously ill, traumatized, or otherwise in need through the gifts of new, handmade blankets and afghans, lovingly created by volunteer 'blanketeers.'” I'm really excited that there is a chapter local to me, with blankets donated to the local hospital and other facilities. Why is it, I wonder, that I leaned more towards the charities that provide comfort, rather than warmth?

Number of times I cried during this book: Like 15.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Knitting for Peace.