All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Sixth Grave on the Edge

Sixth Grave on the Edge by Darynda Jones

Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

Every time I pick up a Charley Davidson book, I’m concerned that maybe, just maybe, I’m misremembering how good the previous books were. After all, there’s no way Charley can be that snarky, Reyes can be that sexy, and Cookie can be that sweet, right? And yet, with every one, my love of this series is reaffirmed, and SIXTH GRAVE ON THE EDGE is no exception to that rule.

Jones takes the reader on an action-packed ride in SIXTH GRAVE ON THE EDGE and I, for one, definitely enjoyed it. Charley is one of my favorite urban fantasy heroines – the combination of sarcasm, backbone, and determination to solve problems along with her sometimes slightly selfish outlook and obliviousness give her a good balance. She’s not your average little Ms. Perfect urban fantasy heroine with her special powers and automatic awesomeness, she has to learn how to use what she has and as the series has progressed, we’ve seen her grow and change as she’s gone through the various experiences both good and bad, and it’s rewarding and satisfying to continue that. Plus, with Reyes and Charley getting to interact in person more often, we get to see Reyes’ super protective side, and his romantic (or slightly stalker-y and creepy- in a loveable way, of course) gestures. And the chemistry between the two continues to be smokin’ hot.

My one complaint is that while the formula for the books remains the same – Charley gets and solves a case or two, plus some additional tidbits are revealed about her history or Reyes or something else from the overarching plot line – they’re starting to get a little more confusing. As the series has gone on, regular characters have been added and then frequently pop in for sporadic appearances. Unfortunately, this means that there’s a lot of characters to keep straight, and there was very little recap on what had happened in previous books. Usually, authors go overboard with repetition, so I appreciate the minimalist approach, but unfortunately, it’s a fine line, and Jones misses the mark in that regard. While it would still be an enjoyable book, a reader new to the series may not understand all the interactions, and it may not be as rich an experience.

Obviously I’ve professed my love for Charley and Reyes, but SIXTH GRAVE ON THE EDGE serves up many of my other favorites too – especially Cookie and Uncle Bob. Plus, Jones’ humor continues to delight, and just enough details are revealed that I’m not even annoyed that I now have MORE questions about, well, everything! Luckily, SEVENTH GRAVE AND NO BODY, the next installment in the Charley Davidson series, comes out in a short five months. I think I can wait that long – what about you?

Sexual content: Several steamy sex scenes
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sixth Grave on the Edge.

07/24/2013 marked as: to-read