Victoria's Reviews > Timeless

Timeless by Gail Carriger

Oct 30, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Read in October, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

As the last novel in the Parasol Protectorate series draws to an end it is my sad realization of how much I would miss these characters I have grown to love.

Indeed, the Parasol Protectorate is a good first foray into the world of steampunk. As a new reader of the said genre I could not have asked for a more entertaining series to wet my appetite. Gail Carriger’s ability to transport the reader into her amazing world is enticing and entertaining to say the least. Ms. Carriger combines many genres within this series and creates a very colorful picture that certainly leaves many readers craving more. There are many aspects that should appeal to the wide range of readers, as I myself, have stumbled upon the series looking to continue my exploration into historical paranormal romance I found so entertaining in my past reads, but there is so much more in Carriger’s world. Here we find a feisty, smart and practical heroine – Alexia, a new paranormal being of Carriger’s design – a soulless. The colorful world set in alternate Victorian England, the comedy of manners, the wittiness and quirkiness of writing style, some romance and mystery, mixed with the steampunk elements all come together to create something totally new, that certainly left me desperately looking for the next chapter to come, but alas it was the last.

Timeless was a perfectly practical wrap-up of the 5-part series. Although it still left certain opportunities for future explorations, most readers should be left satisfied with this ending. I was hesitant when starting book 5, not because this was the end of the series but because it felt that, perhaps, it lasted too long. Well, dear reader, I stand corrected – I certainly wished there was no end in sight once Timeless was finished. Through five very charming novels, I’ve grown quite attached to these characters, whom I found so entertaining.

Alexia was a refreshing heroine, unlike any other, and positively not the type needing the all-so-common rescuing by a man. Although, the men – were so-very-present! Lord Maccon was a perfect counterpart to Alexia and their relation so entertaining; with Professor Lyall, Biffy, the ever-mysterious but very good at brewing just a perfect cup of tea butler – Floote, and Lord Akeldama completing the picture – the cast of characters alone has carried the books forward. The addition of Prudence and the circumstance of her nature created for fun and at-times comical situations that added a new spark.

I must admit, at times, I was worried and even angered by some of the events and discoveries in this novel, and yet I found myself pleasantly surprised by the satisfaction of the conclusion. Undoubtedly, there were surprises, some good and bad. (view spoiler)

With the conclusion of the series at hand, one must accept and part with the beloved characters. As I leave this colorful world behind, I look forward to further exploring the steampunk genre and certainly to the new promised adventures of Prudence in the Parasol Protectorate Abroad, I hope Ms. Carriger does not shy away of glimpses into Lord & Lady Maccon’s future.

Favorite Quotes:

“A strategic retreat, my love. I thought, when Prudence has grown, we might return here, together. Take long walks, eat pastries, play, uh, backgammon or whatnot.” “In the God-Breaker Zone… but you’ll grow old and die!” “As will you.” Conall began stroking her back in a soothing manner. “Yes, but I was always going to grow old and die!” “Now we can do it together.” “My love, that’s a very chivalric thought, but there is no need to be nonsensical in matters of the heart.”
Timeless (pp. 377-378).

“A new queen, plus five Egyptian vampires and assorted drones? You object to my bringing souvenirs back from Egypt? Everyone brings back souvenirs from their travels abroad, my lord. It is the done thing.”
Timeless (p. 384).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Timeless.

Quotes Victoria Liked

Gail Carriger
“I never gossip. I observe. And then relay my observations to practically everyone.”

Gail Carriger
“Scotsmen, she had occasion to observe, often did have nice knees. Perhaps that was why they insisted upon kilts.”

Gail Carriger
“Ever since her trip with Alexia to Scotland, Mrs. Tunstell had rather a taste for foreign travel. Alexia blamed it on the kilts.”

Gail Carriger
“My Hallway" remarked Lord Akeldama,"Has never seen such lively action. And That, my sugarplums, is saying something!”

Gail Carriger
“She took a moment to lament her lack of parasol. Every time she left the house, she felt keenly the absence of her heretofore ubiquitous accessory.”

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Tammy It doesn't feel like it was the last book in this series.... I wonder if she has any more planned? I know she currently has the YA series to do....

Victoria Tammy wrote: "It doesn't feel like it was the last book in this series.... I wonder if she has any more planned? I know she currently has the YA series to do...."

Well, there will be Prudence in 2014, but I think she said it is unlikely that Alexia and Lord Maccon will star in another series. They might appear in Prudence! :)
There is a familiar character or two to be found in the YA Etiquette & Espionage. :)

Tammy I look forward to that discovery. I have a feeling I might know who...

Victoria Tammy wrote: "I look forward to that discovery. I have a feeling I might know who..."

Well you might guess one, but not the other ;) I'll leave it at that :P