Moira Russell's Reviews > Wide Sargasso Sea

Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys

Jan 26, 09

bookshelves: favourites

One of the most perfect stylists ever to write in English.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wide Sargasso Sea.

Quotes Moira Liked

Jean Rhys
“They say when trouble comes close ranks, and so the white people did.”

Jean Rhys
“I hated the mountains and the hills, the rivers and the rain. I hated the sunsets of whatever colour, I hated its beauty and its magic and the secret I would never know. I hated its indifference and the cruelty which was part of its loveliness. Above all I hated her. For she belonged to the magic and the loveliness. She had left me thirsty and all my life would be thirst and longing for what I had lost before I found it.”

Jean Rhys
“And what does anyone know about traitors, or why Judas did what he did?”

Jean Rhys
“I took the red dress down and put it against myself. 'Does it make me look intemperate and unchaste?' I said.”

Jean Rhys
“Now at last I know why I was brought here and what I have to do.”

Jean Rhys
“If she says goodbye perhaps adieu. Adieu - like those old time songs she sang. Always adieu (and all songs say it). If she too says it, or weeps, I'll take her in my arms, my lunatic. She's mad but mine, mine. What will I care for gods or devils or for Fate itself. If she smiles or weeps or both. For me.”

Jean Rhys
“I watched her die many times. In my way, not in hers. In sunlight, in shadow, by moonlight, by candlelight. In the long afternoons when the house was empty. Only the sun was there to keep us company. We shut him out. And why not? Very soon she was as eager for what's called loving as I was - more lost and drowned afterwards.”

Jean Rhys
“I have tried," I said, "but he does not believe me. It is too late for that now" (it is always too late for truth, I thought).”

Jean Rhys
“If I was bound for hell, let it be hell. No more false heavens. No more damned magic. You hate me and I hate you. We’ll see who hates best. But first, first I will destroy your hatred. Now. My hate is colder, stronger, and you’ll have no hate to warm yourself. You will have nothing.”

Jean Rhys
“As soon as I turned the key I saw it hanging, the color of fire and sunset. the colour of flamboyant flowers. ‘If you are buried under a flamboyant tree, ‘ I said, ‘your soul is lifted up when it flowers. Everyone wants that.’

She shook her head but she did not move or touch me.”

Jean Rhys
“Your red dress,’ she said, and laughed.

But I looked at the dress on the floor and it was as if the fire had spread across the room. It was beautiful and it reminded me of something I must do. I will remember I thought. I will remember quite soon now.”

Jean Rhys
“Only the magic and the dream are true — all the rest's a lie.”