Sharakael's Reviews > Snow Crash

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson

Sep 01, 09

bookshelves: steampunk-cyberpunk, favourites, kickass-protagonist
Recommended for: People with interest in mythology and cyberworld
Read in August, 2009, read count: 1

I'm pretty sure other people can give a better review of this novel, so I'll start by pointing out the thing that made me buy it. Having been rather disappointed in the new authors I'd tried lately, I was wary about buying another novel by an author I hadn't tried before. So I kept on coming back to the bookshop to contemplate whether or not to buy this novel, holding it in my hands and reading the blurb repeatedly.

3 times. 3 times I had a stranger coming up to me to tell me that it's an excellent novel and definitely a worthy purchase. 3 different people at 3 different times. With that, I resolved my mind to buy it.

...and I regret not buying it faster. It was everything I was looking for in a cyberpunk novel and more. It's cyberpunk and mythology blended together, resulting in something of its own class... the setting was believable, the society occurred as a result of the setting, and the cyberpunk and the mythology part of it blended and executed so well that it seemed like a given fact that's part of nature, something that got me thinking "Oh, that's right. Why didn't I think of it this way before?"

Neal Stephenson is an author I'm glad to have discovered, even if somewhat belatedly. Thankfully, I've already bought 2 of his other works, which should help me overcome my thirst for his works until I can buy more. Or until he releases a new novel. And I'm definitely keeping his novels and never selling them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Snow Crash.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I hated it. :D Should probably re-read.

Sharakael Hyel wrote: "I hated it. :D Should probably re-read."

Hahaha, I dunno, for me I just loved it; the whole atmosphere and setting felt like it's something I'd love to create myself, if I actually have that much creativity ^^ And above all I just admired how he managed to weave all the mythology into the technology; for me it's like combining 2 of my fetishes together :D