Melisende d'Outremer's Reviews > The Ruins of Lace

The Ruins of Lace by Iris Anthony

Oct 30, 12

bookshelves: france, historical-fiction, ebooks, melisende-s-library
Read on October 30, 2012 — I own a copy

Our story starts with two sisters – Katharina, who is a lacemaker at the Flemish abbey of Lendelmolen; the other, Heilwich, who is a housekeeper of sorts to a nearby priest. Both stories are presented in the first person narrative.

As intricate as the pattern of the lace, the other voices are added to the story - Denis, a border guard whose job it is to seek out the smugglers; a dog used for smuggling; Lisette, a young girl who has fallen under the spell of lace; Alexandre, a young man with no future of his own who seeks redemption and honour; and a wily, scheming count who hopes to use this precious gift as a bribe to secure his own financial future.

As one by one the characters meet and their stories merge, we are drawn along on the journey – will the prized lace be secured in time to prevent the dishonor of one – or will our young hero fail in his task. The reader will be held spellbound until the final chapters reveal all – and the pattern is complete.

I read this in one sitting – it is not an overly long book, nor are the chapters drawn out. All is concise and the stories easy to follow.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ruins of Lace.