***Dave Hill's Reviews > Empire's End

Empire's End by Allan Cole

Mar 20, 14

bookshelves: text
Read in October, 2012, read count: 4

Sten vs. the Eternal Emperor, with the stakes being intergalactic civilization itself. Cole and Bunch's disguised polemic (see the afterword) comes to a climax, as Sten leads a rebellion against the Empire, we learn of the Eternal Emperor's origins, and final, fateful course of the Empire is made.

Good action and adventure, with minimal explicit preaching but lots of nicely crafted character bits, bringing to a satisfying conclusion the entire series. The main critique I have is the overwhelming use of portmanteau compound nouns (flashspot, bloodspatter, wordsplurge) to give things a "futuristic" action sensibility that is hardly needed.

---------

PREVIOUSLY (April 2002)- 4 stars

This is the exciting -- and fitting -- end to the series. Yes, the authors are playing a bit of an ideological trick, but it really makes sense in the end, and I kicked myself for falling right into it.
I've reread this series several times, and it never fails to please. Each book has its own feel, but each is still part of the greater whole. Now if only they'd get them back into print, I could recommend them to more of my friends.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Empire's End.