Jenny (Reading Envy)'s Reviews > Soulless

Soulless by Gail Carriger

Nov 01, 12

bookshelves: audiobook, read2012, sci-fi-fantasy
Read from October 29 to 31, 2012

On a typical day, I would say I didn't like paranormal romance. And I had seen the Parasol Protectorate books before (the covers are gorgeous) but as soon as I saw the words "vampire" and "werewolf," I was disinterested.

But then, Tom and Veronica did an Author Guide to Gail Carriger, and had the author over for tea. She was quite a character, referred to the books as "teapunk" which made me laugh, so I decided to give the books a try.

When I first went to the book in GoodReads, I saw that a large group of my friends have read these. Hi friends!

The story was a lot of fun, and the main character of Alexia is an interesting blend of intelligence (the very Jane Austen brand of UNsilly) and incredible naivete. The romance element of the book means that there are some awkward and hilarious scenes where Old-Jaded-WereWOLFDetective teaches Awkward-Spinster-Preternatural about... life.

I listened to the audio, which was a great way to experience the book. I can see myself going through all of these fairly quickly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soulless.

10/30/2012 page 280
76.0% "What a fun read, makes me laugh."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Aggeliki Obsolete I was also surprised to like the book so much. I expected to be bored or to be annoyed and pulled out of the story by anachronisms but Gail Carriger is a really good writer and researches her books well. I loved the first two and I already bought all the rest to read soon. Yay.

message 2: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome Carriger is an archeologist.

Aggeliki Obsolete Tamahome wrote: "Carriger is an archeologist."

She is and her love for history shows.

message 4: by Ed (last edited Nov 01, 2012 08:49AM) (new) - added it

Ed "WereDetective"? Do you mean "Werewolf-Detective"? The "were-" prefix means "man". (Sorry to get all pedantic on you.)

I met Gail Carriger at a SF book convention a couple years ago, and she was quite charming in person as well. I've been meaning to read these books ever since. Gail Carriger is a pseudonym, by the way.

message 5: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome A WereDetective is human by day, and by night a hat and overcoat springs out of him.

Jenny (Reading Envy) Ed wrote: ""WereDetective"? Do you mean "Werewolf-Detective"? The "were-" prefix means "man". (Sorry to get all pedantic on you.)"
I suspect you're not actually sorry! I fixed it. :P