Teddy's Reviews > The Love of a Good Woman

Aug 12, 07

bookshelves: read-in-2007
Read in July, 2007

I read this with VIFF Friends book Club. Here's my review from Amazon.ca:

I am not usually a fan of short fiction, so when my book club decided we would read The Love of a Good Woman, I was skeptical. Yes, I've heard really great things about Alice Munro, but I like a book I can really "sink my teeth into". Alice Munro has changed my opinion.

Now I know why Alice Munro has been called the master of short story. Her artistry shines with broad stroke of her pen. One of my complaints of short stories is that they often seem like they aren't complete. This book had 8 short stories, every one felt complete by the last page. Her characters were everyday people, each with their own issues to deal with. I often felt like I was listening in to people's houses and lives. The stories were deep and somewhat dark, but oh so meaningful and thought provoking.

Alice Munro has changed my opinion of short stories, at least her short stories. I will definitely be reading more of her.
I highly recommend this book for you or for a book club. Just beware that if your looking for a light funny read, these stories aren't for you.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Love of a Good Woman.