Marielle's Reviews > Kiss of Steel

Kiss of Steel by Bec McMaster

F_50x66
Oct 29, 12

Read in October, 2012

This book is only slightly steampunk and the steampunk doesn't have any influence on the story line. It's more like the author threw a few steampunk pieces in after writing the story to also appeal to steampunk fans. Really it's a vampire story. There are some unique elements to the world in this book. It certainly had potential, but the writing was a bit bland. The major issue I had was with the rapey feeling to some of the love scenes. In general Blade wasn't terribly alpha so where this came from, I'm not sure but I do think men should take no as meaning no. Sadly at one point Honor actually thinks something along the line of "and he's a man that doesn't take no for an answer" as a positive! At some point during a love scene Blade says "I own you" and she's ok with this! This is crazy, especially as she's a trall/kept woman. No one wants to hear that.

Finally Blade's accent will drive you crazy. I hate it when accents are written out. The character isn't actually saying "mebbe" he's actually saying "maybe" it's just the other character that hears it as "mebbe". Anyway, usually as the character gets used to the accent they stop hearing it so much, lessening the need to write it out, but not here. There is a kind of point to it, eventually, but it's so irritating for the first half it's not worth the small plot point.

In summary, plenty of potential but rather old-fashioned (say early 90's) rapey/creepy feel to the love scenes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kiss of Steel.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ashley Yeah, I know what you mean about the accent. I had a really hard time 'hearing' it in my head when the author discribes it as being 'cockney with hints of the upper classes'. WTH does that sound like?!