Laine's Reviews > Oxygen

Oxygen by Carol Cassella

F_50x66
Feb 01, 09

Read in January, 2009

At first I wondered why I was even reading this book. It seemed to be about another supremely narcissistic doctor moaning about unpaid medical school loans while living in a downtown loft with beautiful skylines. Or caterwauling about the lack of spouse/child fully expecting to be able to order said spouse/child in the mid to late thirties in the way the rest of us would order a turkey for Thanksgiving. Oh god. The stress of being in one of the most elite professions ever, with concurrent high status and high pay. Imagine that. The angst at getting in graduate (medical) school that does everything possible (short of paying your loans) to ensure your success. (Unlike say, law school, where the first year is considered a "weeding year" and the lower tiers are expected to flunk out). Oh the difficulty of practicing in this profession ... And who gets into medical school anyway when your real dream is to write? How did she get past the medical school selection committee? Did having a professor parent at an elite school help? You BETCHA it did.

I could not even hear some of the pretty sentences, because of the whining (How is it that I seem to be supersensitive to whining?)

Then I read the second half of this book. I changed my thinking, found the plot interesting, never guessed at the ending which made perfect sense, forgave the author, and realized I was not listening as well as I could have been.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oxygen.