Madeleine's Reviews > The Lady and the Unicorn

The Lady and the Unicorn by Tracy Chevalier

F 50x66
Feb 10, 12

Read in July, 2008

Fascinating subject matter, truly terrible writing! It read, at times, like a lousy bodice-ripper romance novel! There were passages that made me cringe and gag over the dialogue and the descriptions of the love scenes. For something written by a female author, I was startled at how shallow the explorations were into the possible thoughts and feelings of the female characters. It was just bad! However, I did enjoy the descriptions of how the tapestries were made, and I eventually got to the end of the story - Although I regret reading it because now I think those beautiful tapestries have been ruined for me because my head is filled with such trash in association with it. I had never read any books like this before, which took an actual historical event and invented an entirely fictional tale behind it. (I've read myths, legends, and historical interpretations of history before, but this book takes unapologetic liberties with the history) I don't plan to go anywhere near the other books by this author. I'd like my enjoyment of the TRUTH about art and history to remain unmolested.
35 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lady and the Unicorn.

Jennifer I felt the same was, however I just finished The Girl With the Pearl Earring, and found it to be a much mire enjoyable story. I'm still leery of reading this authors work, however. I don't enjoy bodice-rippers.

Jillian This is exactly how I felt about it! The corniness was truly unfortunate.

Sandee I too felt this was a lousy read. Mostly about a young man wanting to seduce every woman he meets. However, it has piqued my interest in these lovely tapestries and the art of tapestry making.

Donna I so agree with your review. The Girl with the Pearl Earring was only slightly better,

amir fatah Is it to be the movie ?

Renata Oh my gosh, this is exactly how I felt. I was so disappointed in her take on the artist and making of the tapestry and felt it was a tawdry choice to make in the history of a work of art that is quite sublime. To turn such beauty into such shallow telling was surprising. At first I thought Chevalier was attempting a bawdy Chaucerian voice but it was a denigrating baud ice ripper in which no one really won and totally detracting from the sublime beauty of the tapestries themselves.