Lainy's Reviews > Black Heart Blue

Nov 10, 12

Read on October 28, 2012

Time Taken To Read 1.5 days

Blurb From Goodreads

Hephzibah: You've no idea what it's like having a freak for a sister.

Rebecca: Born first, prettier, Hephzi's always been the popular one.

The Father: When he was busy with his bottle we were usually safe. Usually.

The Mother: Her specialist subject was misery and lessons of painful silence ...

Hepzibah and Rebecca are twins. One beautiful, one disfigured. Trapped with their loveless parents, they dream of a normal life. But when one twin tragically dies, the other must find a way to escape. Because if she doesn't, she'll end up like her sister.

My Review

This story goes in fairly short chapters between Hephzibah and Rebecca (jumping between before the death of one twin and the aftermath). For the first few chapters you are not too sure what has happened as it jumps around a bit but not so much that you can't follow the actual storyline.

One twin is beautiful and popular, one is disfigured and shunned by her family and peers. Both the girls hide a dark secret whilst fighting for a place in society and a semblance of normality.

It is evident when you start reading that foul play has happened and the family situation isn't quite right but you don't know quite how or why. As the story unfolds you are drawn into a world of abuse and survival, cunning and bravery and a bond between two sisters that have to endure social and family pressures, each taking their toll on the twins as to how they both adapt and cope with it.

Whilst some of the content is horrific it isn't a story that dwells on all the sordid details, however there is enough for you to know exactly what has happened. The story is more focused on the girls and their relationship.

I read this book a few weeks ago and I am still thinking about it, despite having a lot of commitments I couldn't put it down and got through it in a day and a half. I would read this author again, despite the content this book was easily to get through so 4/5 for me this time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Heart Blue.