Cheryl's Reviews > The Bewildered

The Bewildered by Peter Rock

Jan 25, 09

** spoiler alert ** Read this after the Unsettling which lured me into this great voice. As usual, I want to meet and marry this man. “Preteen wasteland meets adult psychosis under rain swept skies…elegantly paranoid”; a trio of 15 year old alienated skateboarders meet a bizarre woman who leads them into an underworld of people who have been electrocuted but did not die. They are now addicted to electricity as well as being abnormal in basic humanity: their memories are poor, their personal interactions are strange and meaningless; and they usually have a strange habit. The first woman had this habit of cutting out pictures of Playboy models from the past and leaving them for people to find as well as having wigs and outfits so she could copy them in her bedroom. Good read; I loved the originality and weaving of stories. There was also a philosophical undertone and side story about a man that studies these people in order to discover the “heights of their experience without suffering the drawbacks? To access what is most electric in us, most alive?” I love that idea; it also appealed to one of the 15 year olds who was seeking an alternative way to live (sensing the insincerity and unhappiness of the adults around them) and she thought she may have found it in this, and sought to be electrocuted to live that way. It didn’t move me, but I liked his voice.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bewildered.