Pedro António's Reviews > World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War

World War Z by Max Brooks

Nov 17, 12

bookshelves: 2012-read
Read from November 14 to 17, 2012

As per usual this will be a 100% spoiler free review for people who read a synopsis and want to know if the book is worth a read.

Having had this book recommended by several people I finally gave it a shot. I haven't read any other novels by Max Brooks before, so I went in almost 100% blind. All I knew was that there were zombies.

Right from the get-go I noticed we didn't have the usual group of people trying to survive the apocalypse throughout the whole book. The story is instead told through various interviews, conducted after the war is over. At first I was a bit scared about this, the potential for a completely disjointed story that brings out none of the emotions the usual way of going about it was huge.
I was really happy to find out that wasn't at all the case with World War Z. Each little interview adds one more piece to the puzzle, one more fact that allows you to figure how events unfolded around the world, how people react to this new reality.

Even though the interviews focus on various people around the globe it all comes together incredibly well, and that's one of the book's major achievements. You truly feel like you've also been there, and some feelings are so well depicted that I was close to tears by the end of some of the interviews. The few moments where everything comes together and it all works make you feel genuinely happy for the characters, though I lost count of the times where I'd think to myself "Wow, that's just cruel! .... And exactly what I'd do as well."

Brooks' political views come into play quite clearly, but I don't necessarily view that as detrimental to the novel. All of his views are very well fundamented and really had me questioning my own values and beliefs. It truly is amazing just how much the world changes upon facing such a threat, how it was fought, what worked and what did not.

The one thing I'd like to see explained is (view spoiler) but I'm otherwise fully satisfied with the answers I got.

In the end World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War brought out so many emotions from me - anger, grief, joy, empathy, relief - that it's no wonder people recommend it so often. It truly is a masterpiece and everyone, regardless of liking zombies or not, should definitely read it.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read World War Z.

11/14/2012 page 30
show 2 hidden updates…

message 1: by Todd (new)

Todd Zombies are normally out of my ken but I am going to have to give this one a try.

Pedro António Don't let zombies deter you from giving this one a shot. I've found that it is much more about humans and how our mind works when faced with complete chaos than about zombies themselves.