Candice's Reviews > A Severe Mercy: A Story of Faith, Tragedy and Triumph

A Severe Mercy by Sheldon Vanauken

Feb 04, 09

Read in February, 2009

I can't begin to explain how magical this book is. Every sentence thought out with depth, compassion, and beauty.

This book is such a glorious testimony of God's love and mercy in our lives. I cannot recommend this book more to anyone who has ever dealt with loss, grief, loneliness, being in love, pagan pursuits, closure, closeness to God, and understanding of his grace and yet sovereignty.

Sheldon Vanuken recounts his life with his love, Davy and their coming to Christ and everything that follows. But the last chapter is his culmination and examination of why things happened the way they did and looking back, how it couldn't have been more divinely different. For me this last chapter will tickle at a truth in all of us that we have in some way or another experienced, yet might not have ever seen it so extraordinarily expressed and articulated.

Look I am not a romantic. I did find their philosophies on love to be somewhat sickening and over-indulgent, but press on reader, that isn't the point of the story. Whether you are a hopeless romantic, or more like myself who cringes at sappy sentiments, this book is hinting at something past that. I would hope people could see this book to be more of a testimony of God than of the couple and their relationship. This, too, is what Sheldon himself came to realize and thus the reason for writing the book itself.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Severe Mercy.

Quotes Candice Liked

Sheldon Vanauken
“A man in the jungle at night, as someone said, may suppose a hyena's growl to be a lion's; but when he hears the lion's growl, he knows damn well it's a lion.”
Sheldon Vanauken, A Severe Mercy: A Story of Faith, Tragedy and Triumph