the golden witch.'s Reviews > Starstruck

Starstruck by Lauren Conrad

Jan 02, 13

bookshelves: 2012, contemporary, meh, teenage-shennanigans, for-review, reviewed, dnf, why-do-i-do-this-to-myself
Read from December 24 to 27, 2012

1.5/5 stars.

While the first book was interesting enough to keep me reading, I found "Starstruck" written so much in the vein of the first book that I found myself DNFing this one before I could get halfway. While the writing was actually good, it was the lack of progression in how the characters grew that bothered me the most, considering this is a character-driven and not a plot-driven series.

Or so, that's how it seems to me. Unfortunately, "Starstruck", while interesting like reality TV is and continues to give us an inside look into how not only reality TV is made but what really goes on behind the scenes, there's also a feeling of a great deal of resentment on Conrad's part lurking behind the main character, Madison, and for good reason, I suppose.

While we continue to get plot advancement with all four members of the Fame Game cast getting used to their new positions and lots in life, as I said previously, aside from Madison (and really, not even a noticable amount on her part), there really isn't much character development like there was in book one. There was a feeling of deja-vu, and a lot of the events that happen were not only foreshadowed in book one but more or less openly announced in order to "advance" the Fame Game season plot by the nefarious showrunner.

So after awhile, I just found my mind drifting. This time around, everything seemed a bit flatter. While the world and the characters have already been pretty well-fleshed out, I can't help but feel that Conrad phoned this one in just a bit. The sensory imagery areas just didn't pop off the page like they did in book one, and that was disappointing. Aside from the slow advancement of the plot as proclaimed in book one, there really isn't anything new or fresh in this volume. However, it was fun in a guilty pleasure sort of way, so I'll give it to Conrad for continuing to keep that part of things fun. I guess.

However, this is just how I see it. "Starstruck" is out now from HarperTeen in North America, so be sure to check it out, and let me know what you think!

(posted to goodreads, shelfari, and birthofanewwitch.wordpress.com)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Starstruck.