Arminzerella's Reviews > Crocodile on the Sandbank

Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters

Amelia inherits a large sum of money and decides to use this to go traveling in Egypt. During her travels she meets a young woman, Evelyn, who was abandoned by her lover under *very* scandalous circumstances. Amelia invites her to be her traveling companion and protects her from her former lover, and a most persistent cousin. While they are working on an archaeological dig, they discover a mummy, which then seemingly comes to life and begins harassing them. Amelia makes it her business to find out what’s going on.

An overwhelming crowd of people told me that I should read this – or, rather, listen to it because Barbara Rosenblat, the reader, is phenomenal. So I did. And it was amusing, though, not fantastically so. It appeals to the nice, rather safe, very early 19th century British part of my nature – where the people are proper, the men wear suits, and the women faint when things get stressful. The main character, Amelia Peabody, is a no-nonsense type of woman with an excellent sense of humor who expects to remain an old maid until the end of her days. The reader, however, will recognize that her fiery clashes with an acerbic archaeologist are obviously going to lead to something romantic in the end.

This gentle mystery isn’t really all that mysterious - it’s more character than plot driven. But, if you like things English, things proper, and *nice* stories (and Egypt!), this will definitely appeal to you.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crocodile on the Sandbank.