Emma's Reviews > Twilight

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

Jan 26, 09

bookshelves: young-adult, fiction, sci-fi-fantasy, romance
Read in November, 2008

Hey if a bandwagon is passing by why not jump on?

At the risk of evoking the wrath of Twilight fans, I have to say that after a few chapters into this I was cursing my rule of finishing a book once I start it. About half way through I was looking at how many pages there were left wondering how I was going to ever make it to the end. Things did get a bit more interesting when that other hunter vampire catches a whiff of Bella, but I kept wanting it to be scarier, to feel more panic or something and it just never happened.

Perhaps that was just because I didn’t warm to the characters; Bella seems a bit too obsessive and submissive, Edward a bit too arrogant and possessive. Also I’m not quite understanding this complete infatuation with someone who reminds you they could totally crush your skull if they wanted to but hey they won’t because you smell good, a fact which may actually lead them to eating you if they can’t resist the temptation at some point anyway.

Perhaps I didn’t really like it because I’m too loyal a Buffy fan to be able to accept any other vampire-lore put forward in popular culture – I mean sparkling in the sun, what is that about?

I don't necessarily mind reading books that aren't spectacularly written if the story is worth it, but in Twilight I found it too much of a chore to get through the writing to be gripped by any kind of story that might be lurking in there.

I'm afraid this did not live up to the hype for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twilight.