Andrew's Reviews > The Invisibles, Vol. 1: Say You Want a Revolution

The Invisibles, Vol. 1 by Grant Morrison

Jan 25, 09

bookshelves: visual, religious, fantastic, scientific, genre
Recommended for: alien abductees
Read in January, 2009

Review for the entire run of The Invisibles:
If you're looking for an well-executed occult-thriller comic that goes a little off the rails in its third act, I can't recommend The Invisibles highly enough. Magical terrorists fighting the (British) man! Sweet gunfights! A tantric-sex expert/psychic assassin (And not the way you think! He assassinates psyches! I'm pretty sure!)! Foul-mouthed future buddha! The 62 letters of the true alphabet! Time travel! The Marquis de Sade! A Brazilian transvestite witch who whores him/herself as part of his/her pact with Aztec(?) gods! Awesome pseudonyms- King Mob, Jack Frost, Tom o' Bedlam, Jolly Roger, Mister Six! I could keep this up for hours.

There are enough crazy gonzo elements, and enough spy-style double-/triple-crosses, to keep this a constantly interesting read. Morrison is good at setting up plot threads early in the run that seem insignificant but become integral parts of the later story, and I was always pleased when some puzzling thread from an earlier issue got tied off. Fun stuff.

I found the third volume a little disappointing. The art gets worse (and the artist changes from page-to-page, sometimes), the plot gets a little inscrutable, and shit gets too mystical. But even it has its moments, and the final editorial, where Morrison tells the readers to go try magic--because if they don't they're PUSSIES--is especially fun.

I don't know about you or your chaos magic, Grant Morrison, but this Wikipedia excerpt is something we can all strive for: "At DisinfoCon in 1999, Morrison said that much of the content in The Invisibles was information given to him by aliens that abducted him in Kathmandu, who told him to spread this information to the world via a comic book. He later clarified that the experience he labeled as the 'Alien Abduction Experience in Kathmandu' had nothing to do with aliens or abduction, but that there was an experience that he had in Kathmandu that The Invisibles is an attempt to explain. The title was not a huge commercial hit to start with (Morrison actually asked his readers to participate in a "wankathon" while concentrating on a magical symbol, or sigil, in an effort to boost sales)."

Superb.

(References to volumes, in this case, are not to the graphic novel volumes, but instead to the published volumes. Also, I think the reviews saying the Matrix ripped this off are silly- it's not like this is the first "reality is not as it APPEARS!" book ever written, guys.)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invisibles, Vol. 1.