Michael's Reviews > Confessions of a Teen Sleuth: A Parody

Confessions of a Teen Sleuth by Chelsea Cain

Jan 26, 09

bookshelves: read-in-2009
Read in January, 2009

A parody of the Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys and other series that many of us read in our childhood.

And yet, I found myself wishing it had been funnier. Maybe it's that I'm not as familar with the conventions of the various mystery series being parodied here, having not read one in years. But part of me felt like this was a recent Saturday Night Live skit--good for the first few moments, but extended past the point where it continued to be funny.

The story follows Nancy across her life as she solves various mysteries and deals with the continuity errors from her various stories. It's amsuing, yes and the various mysteries do work hard to send up the elements of the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew novels. But there are times when it feels like Cain is trying too hard to go for the joke or too obviously setting up things for an eventual punchline. I expect a lot of this is the limitations placed on her by choosing to write in the style of a Nancy Drew mystery.

I wanted to love this book, but I came away only slightly amused.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Confessions of a Teen Sleuth.