April's Reviews > Moby Dick

Moby Dick by Herman Melville

Jun 29, 12

bookshelves: own, bbc-s-the-big-read, classics, fill-in-the-gaps-project, audio
Read from April 25 to May 05, 2012

Do some books ever strike you as unconquerable – daunting because of their size and significance in literary culture? For me, that book is Moby Dick by Herman Melville. I’d always thought of it as big, long and scary. Never mind all the penis-related things I’ve heard about it and about it being this whole great big metaphor for manhood. Yet, when I was deciding on books to put on my Fill In The Gaps list, Moby Dick was one of the very first books I thought to add.

Read the rest of my review here Link goes live 7/14/12
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moby Dick.

04/25/2012 page 16
3.0% "ch. 16 on audio. You guys. I am LOVING this. And kind of shocked at that."
04/28/2012 page 165
33.0% "A little bit confusing, but I like it. It's out of my comfort zone which is nice." 1 comment
05/02/2012 page 330
67.0% "On the last third of the audiobook. Feeling totally accomplished. Also? Bits of MD are quite funny!"

Jess I definitely didn't know you were reading this right now. I just started it last night...and I'm hoping I like it better than when I attempted it in college.

message 2: by Katja (new)

Katja Ah, one of the classics I hope to read this year. How long did it take you?

April Katja wrote: "Ah, one of the classics I hope to read this year. How long did it take you?"

I listened to the audiobook, so exactly 20 hours and 21 minutes I think. It was wonderful.