Melissa's Reviews > North and South

North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell

Jan 25, 09

bookshelves: classic-literature
Read in January, 2009

I worked through this book for several months on and off. The conflict between the classes and understanding is a good study in human relations and expectations amongst administration and workers. The love story, which is what I was told the book was, is really not the central focus of the book. Instead it was a catylis with which to explore the differences of the two areas and thoughts of England and also the different classes of people.

I do think Gaskell did a good job making a point that open dialogue between the masters and workers will do more good at improving business for both parties. John's thoughts and desires as they changed through the book and wrapped up at the end show his growth, which was brought on by his original attraction to Margaret.

There is depth to this story which has several stories within it. It is a great discussion book as there are so many characters with varying degrees of development. John, Margaret, and Higgins are very round contrasted with Capt. Lennox, Mrs. Shaw, and Edith whom are flat and fluffy.

A great book to use for paper or two in college.

I'm looking forward to watching the movie now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read North and South.