Kevin Quinley's Reviews > The Best American Short Stories 2008

The Best American Short Stories 2008 by Salman Rushdie

Mar 09, 09

Read in March, 2009

A short story compendium seems highly suitable given my daily reading diet of text messages, blog entries, and message board posts. Fortunately, these selected tales allow me to binge guilt free on carefully constructed narratives with themes ranging from the mundane (Alice Munro's "Closely Held") to the metaphysical realm ("The Year of Silence"). To be sure, this literary buffet is subject to your own tastes, and while I wasn't particularly compelled by "The Worst You Ever Feel" or the "Wizard of West Orange" I can at least understand their inclusion. For my money, the collection is front-loaded with T.C. Boyle's marvelous story "Admiral" leading things off. Boyle provides a thoughtful meditation on the nature of loss while highlighting our inability to ever truly reclaim the past. Other standouts include the aforementioned "Closely Held," "May We Be Forgiven," and especially George Saunders "Puppy".
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Best American Short Stories 2008.