Julie's Reviews > Let the Right One In

Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist

Aug 19, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: 2009, paranormal, horror, signed-out
Recommended to Julie by: heard about the movie and book various places
Recommended for: old-school vampire & gore fans
Read in August, 2009 , read count: 1

I think I'm being a bit kind with the two stars - it's really more of a 1.5!

I'd heard a lot about this book and its movie version, so I thought I'd give it a try. At the beginning I was really not fond of the characters (particularly Oskar, clearly a psychopath in the making) but there was something compelling about the story that kept me going. By mid-book, I thought some of the characters were a bit more interesting, but the story was all over the place. By the end, the story made more sense, since so many of the seemingly disparate strands had been woven together, but I just sort of didn't care anymore. I just barely had an interest in finding out what happened to Eli and Oskar, just enough to keep me going to the last page. But the big climactic scene didn't really move me.

I guess that I'm glad I finished the book, but I don't even have a desire to see the movie because there were soooooooo many really, really gross parts in this book that I never need to have visualized for me.

I'd recommend it to people who like old-school vampires and horror stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Let the Right One In.

08/13/2009 page 125
26.48% "Oh man, Oskar is definitely a psychopath in the making. I'm not sure where this book is going but it's strangely compelling."
08/17/2009 page 242
51.27% "The story is taking some interesting turns. It really keeps you turning pages."
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Sans (new)

Sans I think seeing the movie first would have been better. Personally, I thought the movie was just okay, but I wasn't crazy about it. There was some gore but it wasn't as bad as it could have been. No where near any of the Tarentino movies I've seen at least!

I'd heard that the book explains a lot more about the characters (Eli in particular), but as I flipped through it I found that I didn't want to know these characters. As you said, Oskar (or The Snot Monster as I call him from the movie) seems to be little more than a psychopath in the making.

Thank you for posting! As always, I love reading your reviews and definitely trust your opinion. ^_^

Julie LOL! Thanks... you know, I feel the same way about all of you lovely Cyber Book Club girls! :D

This makes me a bit more curious about the movie, too. Maybe I'll give it a shot.