Shannon (Giraffe Days)'s Reviews > All Together Dead

All Together Dead by Charlaine Harris

Jul 22, 09

bookshelves: vampires, urban-fantasy, 2009, mystery-suspense
Read in July, 2009

Sookie Stackhouse is becoming quite the popular waitress - for her telepathic gift, mostly. She accompanies the vampiric Queen of Louisiana and her entourage to the vampire summit near Chicago, in order to read the minds of the human hangers-on to the other vampires. In the aftermath of her disastrous wedding and Katrina, the Queen is facing a trial over the murder of her vampire husband, Peter Threadgill, and the dispute of his territory, Arkansas.

Sookie soon finds herself in demand as well as slap-bang in the middle of more than one plot. Her boyfriend, the weretiger Quinn, is on hand but so is Eric and Bill, causing complications. The Fellowship of the Sun, the anti-vampire cult, could be planning something big, and there's definitely something fishy going on inside the pyramid-like vampire hotel they're staying at - something that proves to be deadly.

I must say, I do love these books. When the plot revolves around the vampires I enjoy them more than when they concern weres, but I still always enjoy them. The biggest selling point is Sookie herself, who is a good girl but not in a sickly way, and who leads a very interesting and often exciting life. I enjoy all the little details as well, the descriptions of her homely routines and the like, because it grounds it and gives it a better sense of time and reality.

There are a lot of men in Sookie's life and none of them seem like they could have a future with Sookie - but after this book I really noticed how Eric is slowly and carefully being groomed for the role. After all, Sookie's got to have a happy ever after - she deserves it, and since she narrates I doubt she'll die.

This is solid urban fantasy, with characters who change and grow and subplots that continue to develop, along with the excitement and anticipation of the mystery - though I have to say, I guessed about the suitcases from the moment they were first mentioned. Overall, another great read, lots of fun and a vivid world to explore.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All Together Dead.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't think I've read this one yet. This series is so addictive! :)

Shannon (Giraffe Days) It is! I'm onto the next one, and the one after it is still in hardcover so it'll be a while before I get to read #9.