Alexandra's Reviews > Cybele's Secret

Cybele's Secret by Juliet Marillier

Mar 09, 09

bookshelves: fantasy, 2009, fiction, young-adult, series
Read in January, 2009

** spoiler alert ** This was the first book in a long time that made me stay up very late to finish it. Although I agree with the comments on the predictability (I also knew who the bad guy was very early in the book), it still had enough good characters and unanswered questions to keep me happily going.

My biggest question was the ultimate solving of the love-triangle (Juliet Marillier does like those, doesn’t she?) and with it the source of my main disappointment. Call it patriotism, but up until the very end I was rooting for Duarte. He was oh so much more interesting and captivating than Stoyan. I know the author was trying to persuade us that it was all for the best (Duarte’s disbelief in the Other Kingdom, his helplessness in saving Tati’s life, his lousy marriage proposal) but I just couldn’t be convinced. The first time we see him, when he catches the scarf… he was just so full of promises!

*sigh* Just finished the book and I guess I still need a while to get back to reality and accept that even happy endings are not always so happy to the reader. But in the end, isn’t reading wonderful when we get envolved like this?

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cybele's Secret.