Bonnie Jeanne's Reviews > Bee Season

Bee Season by Myla Goldberg

Jan 25, 09

So much is made in other reviews of this book of the family that seeks perfection only to fall further and further from it, but I think the story isn't so much about perfection as it is about just plain seeking. It didn't end like "American Beauty," but I think the ending is just as it should be.

I didn't see the Naumann family as at all eccentric. They are a family like any family, with communication trouble, secrets, and compulsions. What difference does it make if a compulsion brings you into strangers' homes to collect an item that is calling to you, or wash your hands a million times a day, or simply buy just one more book when you already have so many at home that you will never in one lifetime read them. Compulsion is the "irresistible impulse to perform an irrational act," and I think it is the eccentrics who don't have that impulse. Those of us who recognize it, and perhaps change it, are perhaps luckier than those whose compulsions bring them terrible harm, but that is another story.

his story is just a wonderful read that puts you inside your own kaleidoscope. It's amazingly dizzying.
8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bee Season.

message 1: by Tom (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom Insightful comments re "compulsion." They confirm what the late, great columnist Murray Kempton once wrote:
“We are all addicts in various stages of degradation where I live on the Upper West Side, some to heroin, some to small dogs, and some to The New York Times. The heroin is cut, the dogs are paranoid, and the Times cheats by skimping on the West Coast ball scores. No matter; each of us goes upon the street solely in pursuit of his own particular curse.”

message 2: by Tom (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom oops, sorry for the repetition -- chalk it up to compulsive cutting and pasting ...