Jared's Reviews > The Hunger Games

bookshelves: young-adult, science-fiction, books-i-own
Recommended to Jared by: Liesl
Recommended for: Julie
Read in September, 2009 , read count: 1

A fabulous novel, well-written, absorbing, and with excellent characterization. It was very hard to put down -- so I finished it, instead. :)

The Hunger Games are a futuristic Roman carnival: you know, where the gladiators fight. Except in this case the gladiators or kids between the ages of 12 and 18, forced to participate to demonstrate their Districts' subjugation to the Capitol.

Would have been five stars if it had spent a little more time exploring the moral implications of both the Hunger Games and the ethics of killing others to survive. While the book described a lot of the emotional effects and ugliness that surround the games, it didn't spend much time discussing whether it is right or just to kill when placed in a position where it may or may not be self-defense.

The tributes, the kids who are forced to participate in the Games, are effectively in a Prisoner's Dilemma.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.

Julie Hey cool! I didn't know you could recommend books specifically for people. This is the second time I've had this recommended recently. I'm now heading to the library. Well, at least I'll go to the online catalog and see if I can find this.

Jared Julie wrote: "Hey cool! I didn't know you could recommend books specifically for people. This is the second time I've had this recommended recently. I'm now heading to the library. Well, at least I'll go to ..."

Yeah -- I really like that feature. Not everyone on my friend list would like many of the books I read.