Laurie Gold's Reviews > The Theory of Attraction: The Theory of Attraction\A Shot in the Dark\Forbidden Fantasies

The Theory of Attraction by Delphine Dryden

Oct 26, 12

bookshelves: contemp-erotic-rom
Read in October, 2012

The three stories in The Theory of Attraction were written by authors I've never read before. After reading their stories, I've already gone to Netgalley to download another story from one of them and am going to check out the backlist of another. The third? Meh.

Let's start with what I liked best: Forbidden Fantasies by Jodie Griffin. The premise here is all about a married woman's secret fantasies, which after reading erotic romance are moving from the deepest recesses of her mind into her consciousness. She wants to be dominated, but believes her husband would be horrified by her fantasies. Unfortunately, by keeping her desires under wraps, she's become terribly unhappy, and her loving husband fears for their marriage. Although Griffin overshoots the shame aspect, this is a storyline I really like, and I thought the husband's handling of things post-revelation was delightful. That's why I just downloaded Forbidden Desires (on sale later in November) from Netgalley. Look for my review soon.

Next up; Christine d'Abo's A Shot in the Dark. The premise here is all about a Dom re-awakening the submissive in a woman who had forsworn the life after severe abuse at the hands of the man who once dominated her. Particularly appealing about this story was the hero's occupation: firefighter. How utterly delicious that a man who rescues people likes to dominate women in his spare time. What also worked was the heroine: She's difficult, and I can relate to that. Their sex play is really intense, though, so be forewarned. That's not the case in either of the other two stories.

Finally, The Theory of Attraction, by Delphine Dryden. This is the story that headlines the anthology, and yet it's the one I liked least. The premise here involves a woman asked by her brilliant but Sheldon Cooper-like neighbor, a scientist at the university employing them both, to teach him social skills so he can successfully schmooze donors and keep his job safe. She doesn't know it, but the surely-he's-got-Aspergers scientist dominates women at a sex club twice a month, and when the attraction between the twosome flares, her heretofore unknown submissive side comes out to play. Unfortunately, I just didn't buy somebody so apparently on the spectrum being able to pick up the cues Dominants need to pick up on if they are to drive their submissives crazy with desire.

Look for The Theory of Attraction on November 1st from Carina Press (digital only). My digital copy came via Netgalley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Theory of Attraction.