MacK's Reviews > Sense and Sensibility

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Aug 12, 07

bookshelves: classics, brit-lit
Read in September, 2004

Clearly the best adaptation of any Austen novel (the BBC Pride and Prejudice is less an adaptation and more of a reading in pretty scenery and costumes). What's impressive is that a Twainese born director was able to capture almost all the humor of an 18th century English lady.

Notice, I said, "almost."

Somethings are just Jane's, particularly the moments of dandies shopping for cigarette cases which simply reek of her own frustations while out with family--and is especially comical if you read it to thirteen year olds in Africa...and then watch them stare at you like you're the craziest person in the history of existence.

It's a surprisingly honest and frank depiction of two sisters and the faults and failings of both, and does it with more aplomb than almost all other Austen novels.

Notice, again I said, "almost."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sense and Sensibility.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Good morning

I enjoyed your comment: the BBC are just showing a new 'adaptation' of Sense and Sensibility....the first one is next week....I wonder what you will make of it....? CK