Ioana's Reviews > Apocalypse Scenario #683: The Box

Apocalypse Scenario #683 by Mira Grant

10420661
Oct 26, 12

bookshelves: adult, apocalypse-now, horror, my-reviews, scifi, short-story
Read on October 26, 2012

If the name Mira Grant sounds familiar, then you've probably read her Newsflesh series and you know she's an awesome writer, as I am now convinced she is.

I admit, although I have Feed (Newsflesh#1) on my TBR list, I haven't gotten around to reading it, so I wasn't sure what to expect when I picked up this short story.

By the end, that comes way too soon, all my doubts aside, The Box is great!

Andy, Mike, Sandi, Elsa, Ryan and Cole have been friends since highschool, when they first invented, accidentally, The Apocalypse Game. Every Friday, they would meet up at someones house, drink beer, eat snacks and come up with inventive, original ways the world could end.

The same routine meetings, for fifteen years. Now, Cole has already missed three Fridays in a row, and the group feels that's unacceptable, as she's the one who came up with the game in the first place. This time, she sends Mike with a digital recording of her scenario, since it is her turn to come up with something.

That's as much as I'm going to say about The Box, anything more and I'd give away spoilers.

I'll say this, though: the writing is fantastic, I can't wait to read more from Grant. The third person narrative is welcome, the characters are likeable, the dialogue is funny and believable, same as the relationships. There's no real sense of suspense or surprise, or there wasn't for me, but the author still infuses the short story with dread and managed to make me feel uneasy about the end.

Then, I was just pissed off it wasn't longer. And then, I calmed down and realized I totally loved it.

Also, and I'm not sure if this is true for every copy, but mine came with a short excerpt from her Feed  novel, in the Newsflesh series. I'll stress again that it is a short story, but if you want to experience Grant's writing and a dark little tale of horrific truths and impossible decisions, then go ahead and buy it.

Part of the Halloween Haunted Reads.
Read this review, and more, here:
description

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Apocalypse Scenario #683.