Claudia's Reviews > Good Girls

Good Girls by Laura Ruby

Feb 22, 09

bookshelves: ya-books, wishlist
Recommended to Claudia by: Tesia warned me!
Recommended for: my mature girls...maybe even the guys
Read in January, 2009

an interview in the back of this book suggests this book be required reading for all teenagers, their parents, and teachers. That will make lots of readers squirm. Ruby is a unflinchingly honest about teen sexuality as any YA author I've read. She examines the double standard we all know exists between girlsand boys getting caught in compromising situations. She puts it all out there and makes her characters -- and us -- wrestle with it.

Audrey and Luke 'hook up' at parties all fall, until someone with a camera snaps and sends an incriminating picture of them 'in the act' to everyone...including the school principal and Audrey's parents. Audrey gets hate mail and Luke gets (but does not return) high fives. She's a slut and he's a player...or are they?

Someone they know, someone at the party, took the picture and sent it to everyone. But that's the least of Audrey's problems: her parents, her pastor, her friends and classmates, all treat her differently.

This book is graphic in a way most YA books aren't, and Ruby takes on heavy, heavy issues with courage.

There's a saying, "we read to know we're not alone." Audrey's story IS someone's story. I hope this book finds her and reassures her.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good Girls.

01/24/2009 page 95

message 1: by becca (new)

becca i didnt mean to say i liked this comment... it was an accident!