Sarah's Reviews > The Wind in the Willows

The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame

Mar 06, 14

bookshelves: read-2012
Read in October, 2012

My grandfather gave me this book when I was only a few years older than the book itself (this version published in 1980). I finally have read it. My memory of Mr. Toad and the others is fully from Mr. Toad's Wild Ride at Disney World. I found this book a shock and not at all what I expected. I feel like I may need to read it again, but overall I just couldn't get into it. It has an interesting story, but it felt too loose in pieces, there was too much that didn't make sense. I may have preferred reading it as a child had I actually done so, since my adult mind kept tripping over ideas and phrases like when Toad runs a brush through his hair, and when they sit down to eat lobster and chicken. It seemed odd that a toad (or a mole, though perhaps a badger or rat) would be eating lobster or chicken. And why when they're all able to dash about and talk can't the horse that Toad steals from the barge woman?

There was a certain amount of childish delight in the pages, although I couldn't see it everywhere. And at the end, it seemed like Badger was a father-like figure and the weasels and stoats merely unruly children on a mean prank and Toad in need of knowing it's a duty to write invitations properly.

The story felt abbreviated, as though I'd been dropped into the middle of a story and had missed the beginning and more in the middle. Someday, should I read this with a young child, I'll perhaps get a different view of it, but for now, it's regrettably not a tale I care for.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wind in the Willows.