Ryan Mishap's Reviews > Watchmen, Complete Edition

Watchmen, Complete Edition by Alan Moore

Jan 24, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: graphic-novel

** spoiler alert ** I wanted to like this better than I did because it is so darn original: it takes the idea of people becoming costumed heroes seriously, imagines what types of people would be attracted to doing so, gives them a history, and then starts the story seventeen years after costumed heroes were outlawed. Combining the grandiose sweep of a plan that almost unravels after Rorshcach looks into the seeming suicide of an ex-hero, several subplots, a couple of characters starting up again, and prose excerpts from several different books written by or about the heroes, the whole enchilada is impressive.
The people who chose to be costumed heroes, though, are not the kind of people you'd want to hang out with, and, by the end, I didn't like any of them though we can understand why they were doing what they did. After I finished this, I felt yucky. I know there's not a lot of hope for our world to lessen suffering, but that doesn't mean I want to wallow in it, either. I wanted to give this five stars, then two, so I settled on three for originality and scope, but marked down for having no hope for redemption for any of us.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Watchmen, Complete Edition.