Julia's Reviews > The Graveyard Book

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

Jan 24, 2009

bookshelves: contemporary-fiction, fantasy, magical-realism, literary-ficton, best-book-i-read-in-2009, reread, audio-book, best-book-i-read-in-2013
Read in January, 2009

My review from 8/3/13:

I want to hug this book! Listening to it, read by Neil Gaiman, was an especial pleasure and I got to listen to it with my family on a mini- vacation in the Berkshires.(the book on cd came from my library, I bought a copy of the physical book at the Bookstore & Get Lit Wine Bar in Lenox, MA, $8.99.)

My review from 7/19/13:

After my friend and I saw Neil Gaiman speak last month in Saratoga, we thought this would be a perfect light, easy, fun summer book for our book group to read next.

Nobody Owens, is a toddler when his parents and older sister are murdered, he winds up in a graveyard to be raised by ghosts and a vampire is made his guardian. *It takes a graveyard to raise a child, indeed!* I am so glad I reread this! And in honor of the pizza Bod and Silas have at the end of the book, I will serve my friends pizza when we meet to discuss the book, probably fruit pizza and maybe regular pizza, too.

What a delightful, full of light little book! *It takes a graveyard to raise a child, indeed!*

Nobody Owens’ (nicknamed Bod) family is murdered when he is a toddler, he runs off to the old graveyard, where the ghosts save him from the assassin, and promise to raise him.

A satire, re-telling, re-imagining of The Jungle Book. Now I‘m going to have to read that.

*I have no excuse for these identical sentences in reviews written 3 1/2 years apart except I really, really like the book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Graveyard Book.

07/17/2013 marked as: currently-reading