BAYA Librarian's Reviews > Good Enough

Good Enough by Paula Yoo

1923337
Jan 30, 2009

bookshelves: realistic, humor, romance, asian-american, music
Read in May, 2008

BAYA HOT PICK I had to tear this one away from my part-Asian, academically entrenched, violinist daughter, who shamefacedly read it multiple times before letting me have it to review-which means that Yoo is right on target in her audience of studious "B-tier violin prodigies" who want a slight, but not trashing romance. High school senior Patti feels the pressure to live up to her Korean parents' expectations to be the PKD (Perfect Korean Daughter) and spends much of her time stressing about getting into HYP (Havard Yale Princeton). Then she sees Cute Trumpet Guy in her orchestra and siscovers a world outside her parents' dreams for her and her desire to please them. It's laugh-out-loud funny, but addresses real, difficult issues such as racism within that humor. "Why does Susan get to be called...dork or geek but I always get called jap or chink or gook?" Patti wonders. "I'd take geek over gook any day." The chapter on perming Asian hair will have both Asians and non-Asians squirming. Clever lists such as "How to make your Korean parents happy" and the occasional recipe involving Span both defy and illuminate stereotypes, and make for a wonderfully wry tone that makes this first novel a delight to read - and Yoo a writer to watch.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good Enough.