Sara W's Reviews > Outlander

Apr 12, 09

it was ok
bookshelves: read-w-book-club, fiction, i-own-on-kindle
Read in April, 2009

I gave up on this book somewhere around the Brimstone section because reading it started to feel like a chore. Claire kept claiming she wanted to go back to her husband in the 1940s, but she seemed to be having a grand old time in the 1740s and appeared rather well adjusted to the change in time period! I'm not entirely sure why people love this book because it didn't seem special to me at all. Claire would get in trouble, Jamie would rescue her; repeat - it just got boring to me. Maybe I'll try reading it again some other time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outlander.

Gabriele Wills I'm glad to hear someone else who thought of this book as I did! I found it interesting at first, but then began to cry "Enough already"! I stuck with it, but didn't much like the last third.

message 2: by Sara W (last edited Apr 12, 2009 01:04PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sara W I still feel bad when I don't finish a book, but I'm trying to cut books loose when I'm not enjoying them by the halfway point. I actually went searching through the reviews of this book on this site to find the 1 and 2 star ones because I felt alone with not liking it too!

Gabriele Wills Sara wrote: "I still feel bad when I don't finish a book, but I'm trying to cut books loose when I'm not enjoying them by the halfway point. I actually went searching through the reviews of this book on this s..."

Gabriele Wills Since there are still so many books I really want to read (or sample, at least), I've stopped reading beyond page 100 if I'm not engaged with the book at some level. I kept reading Outlander because I was hoping something different and surprising might happen. I ended up not liking the characters at all by the end.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I bought two of these books brand new and I think this is the one I did finish but it was awful and I won't do that again. I didn't even open the second one.

MichelleCH Oh goodness..just started it..

Sara W MichelleCH wrote: "Oh goodness..just started it.."

You know, a LOT of people love this book (I just don't happen to be one of them). I loved the idea of it, but for me it just didn't deliver.

Sera I thought that the book was just "good" but I also don't fathom why readers are so enthralled with this story. I did get the next two books in the series for a $1 each at the library so I'll at least read those, but I'm not in a hurry.

MichelleCH Yeah so far it is ok, I like the healing part of the story although she seems to know an awful lot about herbs for a "modern woman". She also is kissed spontaneously quite often by different guys -I am interested in seeing where the story is going at least for now.

MichelleCH MichelleCH wrote: "Yeah so far it is ok, I like the healing part of the story although she seems to know an awful lot about herbs for a "modern woman". She also is kissed spontaneously quite often by different guys -..." yuck. so very awful.