Caroline 's Reviews > The Interman

The Interman by Jeff Parker

Jan 24, 09

bookshelves: comics
Read in January, 2009

I got introduced to Jeff Parker based on his "X-Men: First Class" series at Marvel, which is still one of my favorite books, but I might have even more love for his creator-owned work, which is so original that it's hard to say exactly what else it's like. "The Interman" is a sort of super- soldier-spy story, with lots of big ideas about nature-versus-nurture. The main character, Van Meach, was created in a government lab to be the perfect human weapon, but the project was closed down and he was sent to live with a 'normal' family. He grows up to be a happy-go-lucky guy, who just happens to have some extraordinary abilities that he parlays into odd jobs and adventures. When he does work for the wrong man, though, he gets on the radar of every global intelligence agency, and suddenly finds himself traveling the world and fending off hitmen -- of course, he's preternaturally good at it, which leads to some problems of its own.

Parker has a rare ability to combine great big ideas with engaging characters. The layouts are really dynamic and the art, most of which Parker did himself, complements the story well. The publishing budget isn't what it could have been with a major press, and there are times when the finishing on the art and lettering look a little rough. But that just underlines what a labor of love this book is and I'm glad I found this at a used book store. Not sure it's still in print, unfortunately.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Interman.