Jessica Day's Reviews > Scorch

Scorch by Gina Damico

Oct 25, 12

Read in October, 2012

So I am sure all of you remember what I said about Croak, how I hated the first 50% of the book but loved the last 50%. I was downright scared I would have the same reaction to Scorch, so I put off reading it for a while. Luckily, it has all the sass of the last 50% of Croak and none of that whiny, angsty stuff from the beginning 50%. Scorch is an awesome second book from Damico. When I wasn't laughing to myself, I was biting my nails as I flipped pages. This book kept you on edge and kept you waiting for more. Unfortunately, I did end up disappointed with the final 10%. It seems like with all the action in Scorch’s conclusion, everything happens far too rapidly. The end happens to fast and the reader does not have any time to digest any of the giant game-changers. The book was stellar up until the last couple chapters which just didn't fit the pace of the rest of the novel.
On the other hand, I have to give congrats to Damico for doing something few authors are successful at. In the first couple chapters of Scorch she adds two new important characters to the gang. Normally I hate it when authors add characters because they rarely meet the quality of the original characters and they essentially waste space. However, Damico’s new characters are filled with the same funny, unique aspects of the rest of Lex’s gang. I couldn't help but like them. This book was a score from Damico, proving she can write an awesome story and keep it up over a series.
~Jess

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scorch.