Stephanie 's Reviews > And Then There Were None

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

Feb 11, 2009

bookshelves: bees, mystery, classics, great-reads
Read in February, 2009

** spoiler alert ** Also published as Ten Little Indians, my first experience with an Agatha Christie novel was incredible. I didn't know what to expect when I started this book, and I only added it to our bookshelf because I saw on the Internet that many consider this book to be the greatest mystery ever written. (Yes, I had to conduct research to find mysteries to contribute - I just don't read much in that genre.)

Anyway, the story is about ten people who are beckoned to a mysterious island through letters from people they think they might know, or vaguely remember, from their pasts. (Or can't read the signature of the person who sent the letter but decide to travel anyway - is this a good idea? Up for debate. I say no.) Upon arrival, guests are murdered one by one, following the poem posted in each stateroom of the house...counting down the fates of the ten little indians. I found myself constantly flipping back to the poem at the beginning to see how the next guest would meet his/her untimely fate. I thought it took a long time for the characters to make the connection between the posted poem, the disappearing indian figurines from the dining room table, and murders. The one downfall. You would think they would consider that much more quickly, especially since each person had a framed copy in sight.

Now, it must be said that as a former English major, many of my book and movie experiences have been ruined by my training to dissect and analyze everything being thrown at me. I almost always figure out endings of everything (it's my curse) so when I stumble upon a book or movie that surprises me, I love it. This book did that for me. I had no idea who was murdering the guests on the island, and didn't realize it until I read the confession at the end of the novel.

This book was easy to read, hard to put down, and suspenseful in so many right ways. I will definitely read some more Christie. Recommendations welcome!
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read And Then There Were None.